Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    BIN 200 dollars. Seems like a decent deal. I'm not sure where you could get covers except Bill at GPA might have some new ones

    One Pair of Altec 291 16 Alnico Drivers not Working | eBay

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    What a jackass seller.

    Q: How do the magnetic gaps look? Are they even all the way around?
    A: Hi. Thanks for looking. The gap is perfect on all drivers. I have 4.
    Driver number 1 clearly still has the voice coil and former fused into the gap. Both drivers look quite rusty where it counts. That's as far as i got with the pics and description.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    Wow I didn't even notice the issues with the first driver. Thats what I get for using a phone to surf the web instead of a real computer.
    It looks like the guy that asked the question noticed it though

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    if the first bidder can get them for fifty bucks each he might be ok. he should be really hoping someone out bids him though. taking those things apart is a pain in the butt. and unless he can have the parts electroliticaly cleaned. getting the rust out is nearly impossible. I did a pair of 800 series a while back and still need to send them to gpa to be remagnitized.
    Last edited by Phil-G; July 31st, 2016 at 10:57 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    if the first bidder can get them for fifty bucks he might be ok. he should be really hoping someone out bids him though. taking those things apart is a pain in the butt. and unless he can have the parts electroliticaly cleaned. getting the rust out is nearly impossible. I did a pair of 800 series a while back and still need to send them to gpa to be remagnitized.
    Phil did you take the 800 series completely apart? Like separate the magnut slug and the case? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the assembly held together by magnetic force? I have heard that you can take them apart by getting extra long screws and driving them into the body, forcing it apart. I didn't hear which screws are the right ones though. The 2 mounting screws, the 3 phragm screws, or the 3 cover screws?

    I have one that needs to be taken apart but I don't want to shear off a screw in there.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 291-16A pair with no phragms or rear covers

    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the assembly held together by magnetic force?
    Glue.

    A driver is not magnetically charged until it's assembled. Even ferrites are not charged until after the front and back plates have been glued on and given time to cure.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.